Cleaning up the terrible Kindle UI.
Unsubscribe from special offers
- Use this Amazon help page to find out how to disable ads in your device. It will cost you around $20, but it's so worth it. Your attention is more valuable than that.
Disable the cluttered 'Home screen view'
- Go to Settings > Device Options > Personalize your Kindle > Advanced Options > and turn 'Home Screen View' off.
- Delete any book you are not planning to read in the next 6 months. Seriously, do it. You can always redownload them anyway.
Remove noise with collections
- Create collections and add your books there. Personally I have one collection for each category / interest I'm currently pursuing. For example, my current collections are:
- Computer Science
- I have scheduled time slots in my calendar to read a bit of each one of these collections. Besides it, I like to have a single book that I consider my 'current' book. I keep this book in a _Current collection.
Select the right filters
- In your home screen, select the following filters:
- Just downloaded items
- Collections only
- Ordered by title
- These considerations are now available as a blog post in Adventures in Consumer Technology.