Sane Music Management
- While under COVID-19 Quarantine, I decided to update this page. I continue doing most of what I preach here, with some small changes :
- I favor Bandcamp over Spotify now. — The streaming industry don't pay shit to musicians. I want them to continue making good stuff, so I pay the price using Bandcamp.
- I favor vinyl over digital. — I prefer the sound, and I like the ritual. Feel free to send me to hipster hell. This is part of my LMN (Less, More and None) list. Check also my Vinyl Collection.
Streaming service for most things
- I loved Rdio, but since it's demise I moved to Spotify. I do most of my music listening there. Don't be cheap, pay for a subscription and avoid ads.
For music unavailable in streaming services, old school mp3 files
- I buy music from Bandcamp. I keep these files stashed in an external drive, with CrashPlan backing it up daily.
A subset of these files are available as an iTunes library
- I keep a small subset of albums on my computer. By doing that, I can play music if I'm offline and without my phone.
Keep offline files in your mobile phone for to-go airplane mode listening
- I keep a good amount of files available for offline listening in Spotify. Make sure you also have a good noise generator and some headphones for loud situations. No iTunes integration at all.
Use Last.fm for stats
- I have been using Last.fm for almost ten years, and it's always fun to go back there and see how my musical taste changed over the years. I have Spotify linked to it and the Last.fm application installed locally.